Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas 2009

This is our first Christmas in Houston and it's different. Every year I usually pull out the Christmas decorations at Thanksgiving. I spend hours and days make sure the tree and hosue look perfect. I look forward to it every year. But this year, we are still in temporary housing and all the decorations are tightly packed. So I thought I would have a hard time getting into the Holiday Spirit. Not so, thankfully.
A few nights ago my husband surprised me by pulling out our little silver table topper tree. Here it is in all its glory surrounded by presents.


I know some of you may be thinking, What's the big deal? And you know what? You're right - that's what I learned in Christmas 2009. The decorations are fun and festive, but they do not make the season, they are not the reason we celebrate.

We celebrate because our Savior came from Heaven to earth to save us. It's not about stressing over getting the house ready and buying a lot of presents. It's about Him, His love for us, and sharing that love.

Don't get me wrong - traditions of putting up the tree, going to parties, exchanging gifts, and celebrating with the ones we love are awesome. I just learned that it's all about balance and putting Jesus first during this season (really all year round).

The Echols pray you have a very Merry Christmas with your family!

I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. Luke 2:10b-11, NIV

2 comments:

TheFancyFritter said...

awe! I love it! It is a perfect little tree! Thanks for the encouragement & I hope to see you this Christmas time! :) Love ya'll!

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

As I'm sitting here about to cry from stress, thank you for the reminder of what my mind SHOULD be on.