Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Where My Ladies At?!

So, summer is here in the good ole South which means 100% humidity and 100 degree heat. Or in other words, Bath Suit Season. 

Oh, did you hear that blood curdling scream? No?  Sorry, must have just been my knee jerk reaction.

Up until this year, I was one of those annoying young ladies that just did not understand why other ladies dreaded shopping for a bathing suit.  Well ladies I have crossed over to the other side and I now understand.  I really, really understand.

One Sunday a few weeks ago our sweet friends invited us to swim at their pool.  So, of course, I panicked because a) my size 2 body had morphed into a curvy “real woman” body and b) I have not bought a swimsuit to fit said “real woman” body.  But we said “Sure.”  Poor D, he had no idea what was to come.

As soon as we left church I informed him that we were not going to eat lunch, but in fact, were on our way to Target.  I thought, “Surely, Target or Old Navy will have a suit and I won’t have to go to Dillard's and spend a fortune on a bathing suit.”  I know, those of you experienced “real women” are shaking your heads because you know the folly of my thoughts. 

I mean does Target or Old Navy not realize that anyone over a size 6 does not want to wear a string bikini.  I mean, all I wanted was a great tankini and swimming shorts for a cover up.  Is that really too much to ask?  Well, 2 hours later we ended up at Dillard's.

My poor man.  I grabbed about a million suits and headed to the dressing room.  2 seconds later I realized I needed him to be in the dressing room because there was no way I was going to parade my new body in front of everyone in Dillard's. 

He was awesome!  So after several very quick bathing suit changes, and an awesome sales lady who kept bringing me a bigger size.  I truly believe that the designers are dumb and put a size 10 on a bathing suit that is really a size 6.  That must be it.

Anyway, here is the total awesome, comfortable, sweet suit I bought (and yes, I spent way more just on the top than I have ever spent on an entire bathing suit).

03202889_ziIt was impossible to find a one piece or tankini that was long enough for my super long torso, so I compromised.  I feel totally comfortable in this (the fabric is like a dream) and I don’t have to worry about my bikini line.  SWEET!

The annual 5 day family reunion is coming up the week of July 4th, so I need just one more suit.  Well, I could just rinse out my suit at the end of everyday, but come on, really?  So I am hoping that Dillard's will have a major sale soon.  Please?

Otherwise, I’ll be hitting Marshall’s as my good friend Erin says it has great deals.  I’ll be hitting it soon and I will let you all know the results of my search.

So for all you real women out there, let me hear ya!  Do you have any good bathing suit finds, any great stores the rest of us should check out?  Let us know.

Now I am going to go feel comfortable in my new body and enjoy eating my hubby’s awesome cooking for dinner. 

2 comments:

Meryl & Russell McLendon said...

I got this hot geriatric number from Target, only in teal. I wear it with prudish pride & am already looking for something else.

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Black-Twist-Tubini-Purple/dp/B002VHLAUY/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton

Lindsey said...

Try Land's End. They have some really well made suits. I got mine there and love it!