Monday, August 10, 2009

Opportunity

You know, I read a devotion today that really has me thinking. Where is my passion, my desire to represent Christ and draw others to him? Why am I so consumed with me and my life, yet never think of what God would have me do today? I mean, He's my entire reason for being. God created me to worship and praise him and to bring others to him. What have I done for him lately? Not much, I fear. Does anyone else struggle with this? I find myself battling time constantly. Trying to make time for a devotion or a quiet time or a simple prayer. Most times I fail and then I wonder why I do not hear the Spirit's leading, why I miss opportunity. I know there have been many times God has presented an opportunity to represent him to someone and I've missed it. What a frightening thought!

My pastor, Dr. Chuck, taught on "Reaping and Sowing" this past Sunday from Galatians 6:7-10. 7Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. 8 The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. 9Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do no give up. 10Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

There is so much in those few verses, but one really got me. Dr. Chuck said that an opportunity is a limited time in which to fulfill a purpose. For us, as Christians, that purpose is to SOW and REAP - to sow the seeds God gives us and reap the rewards of that obedience (seeing others saved, seeing others healed from a hurt, feeling the joy of serving, etc). When was the last time I made time to serve a fellow believer? Or a non-believer for that matter? When I did, what was my hearts motivation?

So then, in Sunday school, we were in the book of Acts - Acts 1:1-11. It is so awesome how God's Word applies just as much today as it did on 1 AD. God's disciples and apostles were just as distracted and human as we are. They wanted to know when Israel would be restored. "When will we see you, Jesus, come back and kick some Pharisee and Roman butt? (paraphrased)" I always seem to be like them - focused on what I think is best and wondering why God does not listen to me. I mean, I know what I'm talking about, right? How arrogant and disobedient can you get? Then he tells me, It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth (Acts 1:7-8). God trying to tell me to stop struggling in making my own way and follow his. Take the opportunity he's given me - it's only for a limited time - and reap the blessing. I hope you find time for the blessing as well, for that is all He wants to give.

My determined purpose is that I may know Him - that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, percieving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of his person more strongly and more clearly.Philippians 3:10, AMP

No comments: