Friday, September 11, 2009

Do You Remember?

Today is the 8th anniversary of 9/11/01. All the news programs are asking people to remember where they were on that tragic day. Where were you?

I was 22 years old and sitting in my very early 8 am Speech Disorders class at Louisiana State University in Shreveport. I was a Speech Pathology major. I'm one of those dorks who never. ever. used her degree. I just went straight into grad school.

Anyway, there I was, surrounded by about 5 other young ladies. We were all extremely tired. You know, that I have not had my first cup of coffee look. Hey - it was 8.o.clock.in.the.am. I had to drive about 40 minutes to get to class.

So we're sitting there quietly working on a project and all of a sudden a girl comes running into the classroom yelling Can you believe it? We had absolutely no idea what she was talking about. Finally, we turned on the TV in the room and were shocked, like everyone else. It was the most surreal event I've ever experienced. We felt like we were in a movie or watching a movie. We made that comment several times.

My professor canceled class and I went down to my car to listen to the news. I still had other classes that day so I had to stay. I remember thinking Why are we still going to class, we need to do something! It still irks me to this day that my other classes were not canceled. Anyway, I know I was feeling what everyone else did at that moment. You felt as if you needed to make a beeline for the Pentagon or NY because people needed help. I have never felt more helpless as I did that day.

Of course for me that was not an option because I was half way across the country from those locations. And I think we all remember what air travel was like that day and many weeks after.

As the days passed I remember watching our new President - George W. Bush with swelling pride. He wasted no time rallying the workers in New York and Washington. He was inspiring. The people were inspiring. I was in awe of the display of human bravery and love.

Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature, and we responded with the best of America"
President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

Years later I've met some of the volunteers of those terrible days and seen the effects their work took on their health. It's sad to see them suffer, but they are so full of fulfillment and pride, knowing they were there and they helped.

Sept 11 will always be a day I will remember - a day of tragedy but the days and weeks that followed were some of the greatest displays of humanity ever. I love my country and I love the people who serve to protect it. Make sure you let them know.

Where were you on that day? How do you remember it?

The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in him. Nahum 1:7 (NLT)

No comments: